Mix, cut, chop, blend, emulsify, grate andgrind.
Equipment Safety Precautions
Always use care with any electrical equipment.
- Do not wear loose clothing or jewelry that could get caught in the machinery.
- Before you put together, clean or take apart electrical equipment
- Turn off the appliance.
- Turn off the circuit breaker,* wall switch or unplugfrom the electrical outlet.
- Use care withthe blade**.
- Keep the blade sharp.
- Keep your hands awayfrom the blade while it is in place.
- Only store the blade in the knife assembly.**
- Always follow the lockout/tagoutprocedures for your facility.
Food Safety Precautions
To prevent cross-contamination
- Clean and sanitize equipment before use.
- Clean and sanitize the VCM thoroughly between uses and when you use the mixer for more than one item.
Safe Operating Directions
- Check that electrical outlet and machine power sources are OFF.
- Move the bowl tilt handle** to HOLD to lock the bowl in a vertical (upright) position.
- Attach the blade to the drive shaft.**
- Remove anybones from meat or poultry.
- Place the foodto be processedin the bowl.
- Close the lid andpullthe locking bracket** over the bar projectingfrom the lid.
- Turn the breaker or wall switch ON or plug the machine into the electrical outlet.
- Turn ON the machine switch.
- When mixing hot items
- Open the viewing port slightly to let the steam escape.
- Use a towel to cover the port and prevent splashing.
- When the food is processed, turn the machine switch OFF.
- Turn the circuit breaker or wall switch OFF or unplug the machine from the electrical outlet.
- Open the lid after the machine has stopped.
- Be careful notto cut yourself on the blade. Make sure you are using the appropriate utensils.
- Remove the food to a clean and sanitized container.
Safe Cleaning Directions
- Pre-wash the VCM. Fill the bowl 2/3 full with warm water.
- Add 2 tablespoons of mild liquid dish washing detergent for every gallon of water.
- Turn the breaker or wall switch ON, or plug the machine into the electrical outlet.
- Turn the machine switch ON.
- Close the lid and run the machine for 3 bursts of 3 seconds each.
- Leave the soapy water in the bowlfor further cleaning after the electricity is turned off.
- Turn the machine switch OFF.
- Turn OFF the breaker or wall switch or unplugthe machine from the electrical outlet.
- Carefully take the blade out of the drive shaft.
- Wash, rinse, and sanitize the blade in the pot and pan sink or the dishwasher. Do not leave the blade in the sink to soak.
- Wash the inside ofthe bowl and the lid with warm water, milddetergent, and asoft cloth.
- Use a plastic spatula to scrape any food that is stuck to the bowl or lid.
- Tilt the unit forward and empty the bowl.
- Rinse with clean water, and empty the bowl again.
- Sanitize andthen let the bowl air dry.
- Put the machine back together after ithas been cleaned. Do not attach the blade to the drive shaft.
* Circuit Breaker –A circuit breaker automatically stops the flow of electricity when the electric circuit gets overloaded. You can also switch off a circuit breaker by hand at any time.
Circle the answer that best describes the safe operating procedures related to using and cleaning a vertical cutter mixer (VCM).
- How do you safely hold the blade?
- Hold the sharp edge ofthe blade.
- Hold the raised part ofthe blade opposite the sharp edge.
- Pinch the middle of the blade.
- Use tongs or safety gloves.
- When you are ready to process the food, what needs to be done first?
- Tilt the bowl.
- Close the lid.
- Close the lid and lock it.
- Turn the VCM on.
- To safely operate a VCM
- Make sure the bowl is lockedin an upright position.
- Use single use disposable gloves to remove food from the bowl when itis done.
- Never mix hot items.
- Store the blade in the drive shaft.
- To clean the VCM when you are done
- Wash the VCM with warm water and mild detergent, rinse and sanitize. Empty the bowl and allow to air dry.
- Pre-wash the VCM. Turn the power off, then carefully remove the blade, wash, rinse and sanitize in a pot sink. Wash and rinse, then sanitize the bowl and allow to air dry.
- Pre-wash the VCM. Then wash the VCM bowl with warm water and mild detergent, rinse and sanitize. Soak the blade in a pot sink; then sanitize and allow to air dry.
- Turn the power off.Scrape the VCM bowl, then wash the bowl and blade with warm water and mild detergent, rinse and sanitize.