Commercial Can Opener Video
Open canned foods.
Equipment Safety Precautions
Always use care with any electrical equipment.
- Do not wear loose clothing or jewelry that could get caught in the machinery.
- Replace dull blades. (If you do not, metal shavings can be deposited into the food, contaminating it.)
- Use caution when handling the blade, can lid and other sharp objects.
Food Safety Precautions
To prevent cross-contamination, clean and sanitize equipment before and after use.
Safe Operating Directions
- Clean the can opener.
- Lift the handle straight up to a height where the can fits under the blade.**
- Place the can under the blade.
- Push down on the handle until the blade pushes through the lid of the can.
- Lower the handle all the way down.
- Turn the handle (which will turn the can) until the blade completely opens the can lid.
Safe Cleaning Directions
- Remove (or lift) the shaft and blade.
- Wash, rinse and sanitize in a dishwasher or by hand in a three-compartment sink.
- Allow to air dry.
- Check to make sure there is no food stuck between the blade or handle.
- Check the blade for wear. If there is a groove developing in the blade, replace it immediately.
Replace the Blade
- Remove the old blade by pulling the pin or screw from the cutting side.
- Put it back together by placing the blade behind the pin or screw** that holds it in and make sure it is secure.
- Put the can opener away.
Review Questions: COMMERCIAL CAN OPENER
Circle the answer that best describes the safe operating procedures related to using and cleaning a commercial can opener.
- What is the proper way to replace the blade of a commercial can opener?
- Force the old blade out with pliers.
- You cannot remove the blade so you need to report it so a new one can be ordered.
- You don’t need to replace the blade.
- Remove the old blade by pulling the pin or screw from the cutting side of the can opener. Put a new blade in behind the screw that holds it in, then secure it with a screwdriver.
- When you see metal shavings in the canned product you are opening, you should
- Turn the handle of the can opener again to make sure the lid comes off easily.
- Scoop out the shavings and prepare the product.
- Cook the product to a high temperature.
- Discard the food and change the blade.
- How often shouldyou clean and sanitize a commercial can opener?
- Once a month.
- Once a week.
- After each use.
- When the blade is dull.
- To clean and sanitize a commercial can opener
- Run the shaft through a dishwashing machine or wash, rinse and sanitize it in a pot and pan sink.
- Soak the shaft and blade in a prep sink.
- Keep the can opener in place and wipe it down with a damp cloth.
- Remove the blade and spray the can opener with sanitizer.